Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8918  by Vorteil

I think even if your nerite passed your water will be fine and not affect the opae. We just don't know the age of the snails when we get them. I've had many snails die in my 6 gallon both nerites and MTS. By the time I realize it the shells are empty. Granted there's quite few opae in the tank so i'm sure it's fine. I know I still have a nerite and a cerith snails that's probably 3+ years.
 #8925  by Owlbit

Suppose I over worry about my shrimps.

A tiger nerite from my fw tank was acclimated and put into the opae tank. He has a crack in his shell which I hope will do better in a brackish tank than a softwater fw tank.

The older nerite is still in quarantine with old tank water. When I took him out, he had some light brown discharge around his shell. He may already be on his way out. The sad thing is, when I went to the petshop to buy some amano shrimps for my fw tank, I saw tiger nerites that are bigger than him. So he could have potentially grown more. Maybe somehow he just got sick. :cry:
 #8934  by odin

It’s a really shame, unfortunately these shrimp will always outlive their snail tank mates because of how long they live. As said above you never know how old the snails are then you buy them. :upset:
 #8986  by odin

I netted a dead nerite out tonight, had noticed for a week or so a nerite sat in the same spot so pulled it out and Opae ula swam out of its shell! :upset:
 #8990  by opae ula related

odin wrote:I netted a dead nerite out tonight, had noticed for a week or so a nerite sat in the same spot so pulled it out and Opae ula swam out of its shell! :upset:
Imageefficient cleaners the OP are.