Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8440  by Owlbit

So the first time I got my shrimps that went into my 2.5g tank, I drip acclimated and dumped all the old water before netting the shrimps into their new home.

This second time around when I got my shrimps, although I did add water to their jar prior to releasing them into their new homes (2.5g and <1g tank) I did not net them out and just poured. I didn't even know it might have been possible to get trumpet snails just from dumping someone else's water into your tank. To give an idea, here is some timeline.

A few shrimps first went into the <1g tank. The rest were placed in a holding jar with some extra water (brackish of course).

After a few days and realizing my 5g tank they are supposed to go in is still so messed up on parameters, I decided to split the rest between the two small tanks. So I poured them in, water and all. No visible snails in the glass jar.

Just a few days ago, I found one tiny horned shaped snail in my <1g tank on the glass. Looked strange since it was so tiny, but so obviously a trumpet snail. Keep in mind, this tank has no other snails. Nothing new was put into this tank except new shrimp with their bag water.

Then just today I found another tiny dot of a horned shaped snail in my 2.5g tank, but I was unable to capture and remove it due to its location. I am constantly looking from time to time to remove it.

So, my conclusion is, water from someone else's tank that has trumpets can 'possibly' transfer trumpet snails to someone else's tank if they dump the water in. Or am I missing something? Could something else have happened? They ride on shrimps? I am on high alert here because I don't want trumpet snails. I worked so hard not to get any and I didn't think someone else's water would be a risk. Help...

EDIT Snail count:
<1g tank: Found 5-6?, killed 4
2.5g tank: Found 1, killed 1.
Last edited by Owlbit on 21 Sep 2019 15:11, edited 2 times in total.
 #8442  by odin

Just keep on top of it and keep removing them, as they are so young you should be able to eradicate them from your tank completely. I stay away from MTS in my tanks for that reason, in my fresh water tanks back in he day I got over run and had to buy assassin snails to eat them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8448  by Owlbit

Yeah, it was a my bad and didn't think about it. Live and learn.

I have not found any new snails today. But I do know for sure I saw one in the smaller tank yesterday and I couldn't catch it so he has to show himself eventually I hope.

So hard to find them on sand in 2.5g tank. So not sure if only one got in there or they are all hiding.

Now I have a new reason to stare at the tanks.
 #8452  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote: 24 Sep 2019 12:37 Same here. I started with 3 about one year ago. Now I got at least 25... I guess I have to intervene someday. Maybe my local shrimp store will take them. Thing is: I love those snails. Guess removing them will be a never-ending undertaking. :smile:
Happy Friday!
AIG, Not never-ending undertaking. It takes a while but I was able to get rid of them a whiles back.
 #8453  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 27 Sep 2019 17:59
Algae In Space wrote: 24 Sep 2019 12:37 Same here. I started with 3 about one year ago. Now I got at least 25... I guess I have to intervene someday. Maybe my local shrimp store will take them. Thing is: I love those snails. Guess removing them will be a never-ending undertaking. :smile:
Happy Friday!
AIG, Not never-ending undertaking. It takes a while but I was able to get rid of them a whiles back.

Great! Hey thanks for sharing the vid. I have never seen them this close. "Teeth" are different to nerite snails!