Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6943  by SPELLBOUND

Just purchased some of the Algae from this site and within a few days it went mostly white. Not sure why
 #6945  by odin

That sounds strange indeed, can you tell us a bit about your tank? What are the water parameters? How many shrimp do you have etc?
 #6946  by SPELLBOUND

Hi Odin, I have no shrimp in yet only a handful of MTS to help with the cycle. Tank only 2 weeks old so haven't checked any parameters yet as I'm expecting it to be at least 6 weeks before I add any super shrimp . I filled tank with RO water and used marine salt to make it brackish. Heater on at moment to help speed up bacteria growth and I'm adding bacteria which is causing some blooms. I intend on taking heater out before adding shrimp and also no filter. The substrate is fine black substrate with several large pieces of black lava rock and some plastic plants as its brackish.
 #6948  by Vorteil

So what nutrients are in the tank to feed the macro algae? Think about this question.
 #6949  by SPELLBOUND

What nutrients are in the average basic set up for these shrimps, both shrimp and MTS would have very small bio loads . no real plants in there. Just microbe lift nite out starter bacteria. RO water mixed with microbe lift premium reef salt. Lava rocks, fine black substrate. And about 50 or so MTS. No shrimps yet as its cycling. I thought the moss might have helped with cycle but it went white which I've read means its dying.
 #6952  by odin

What salinity is your salt water? The plant will indeed need some form of nutrients to live. With a tank that size you will need a fair few shrimp. What lights are you using and how long are they on and off for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6954  by SPELLBOUND

Lights are on 12 hrs, think its a blue florescent tube that came with tank. I haven't checked salinity yet, but will get water parameters all checked this weekend. I didn't know what else to add to the water as read on super shrimp site not to do much and keep things simple. Do you think this 90 litres is too big for them ? Thanks for any advice