Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5340  by deedee71

hi

i am from kent in the uk. im not new to fishkeeping but im new to opaeula.

can i use mature gravel from a freshwater tank to speed up cycling in a new opaeula tank, or will the good bacteria die in the brackish water?

im cycling two habitats, a little bowl, which i need to add more brackish water to, and a vase.
Attachments:
IMG_20180717_004850_hdr.jpg
IMG_20180717_004850_hdr.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 8545 times
IMG_20180717_004912_hdr.jpg
IMG_20180717_004912_hdr.jpg (174.06 KiB) Viewed 8545 times
 #5342  by odin

Welcome the the forum @deedee71 ! You can add some substrate which will introduce some algae but yes the bacteria will die, i would just remove your tank lids and have at least 12 hours of lights on a day and wait for the algae to show up prior to adding some shrimp. :smile:

Without peddling my sales too much i sell macro algae on my eBay store which you can put in strait away and this will help your tank mature/cycle a lot faster.

good luck!
 #5352  by deedee71

I have bought a bigger tank. 12 litres, got lava rock from eBay as my local shop only had huge bits of rock. Now just playing waiting game. I set it up last Saturday with some rocks that began cycling last Thursday
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (646.88 KiB) Viewed 8484 times
 #5360  by deedee71

My tank is cycling nicely, massive nitrates and nitrites, so not ready but anyway, no sign of diatoms. I'm using an LED light, £10 from pets at home, my husband reckons led lighting won't cause any algae to grow, I think he is talking rubbish, or is he right?
 #5368  by Halocaridina

deedee71 wrote: 20 Jul 2018 22:59 Widgeon grass or pickle weed, can that be bought anywhere?
Here is a site that sells pickleweed (Salicornia).
https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Samphire_Plant/
https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Samphire_Seed/
deedee71 wrote: 10 Aug 2018 15:09 My tank is cycling nicely, massive nitrates and nitrites, so not ready but anyway, no sign of diatoms. I'm using an LED light, £10 from pets at home, my husband reckons led lighting won't cause any algae to grow, I think he is talking rubbish, or is he right?
I have only used an LED light on my tank and have had a ton of algae. Brown diatoms, cyano, hair algae, red algae at various times.