Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10605  by Leo29798

Hi everyone,

I have done some research and I decided to start a tank with 2 substrates. The first one is seachem flourite and the 2nd is crushed coral. I got some lava rock, dragon stones, and macroalgae. I use RO water instead of RO/DI water. I used Instant ocean sea salt to make brackish water

May I know if this is a good set up?

Thanks!
 #10606  by odin

Leo29798 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have done some research and I decided to start a tank with 2 substrates. The first one is seachem flourite and the 2nd is crushed coral. I got some lava rock, dragon stones, and macroalgae. I use RO water instead of RO/DI water. I used Instant ocean sea salt to make brackish water

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, that all sounds good to me. I haven’t used the seachem fluorite substrate before.. it’s not a live sand is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #10620  by Leo29798

odin wrote:
Leo29798 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, that all sounds good to me. I haven’t used the seachem fluorite substrate before.. it’s not a live sand is it?

It's not live sands. It's rock substrates. I just checked the tank today, and the tds is 6000. May I know what to do?
 #10621  by odin

Don’t worry about TDS.

#10623  by opaekaki

Leo29798 wrote: 12 Nov 2023 02:22 Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Seachem fluorite is for planted tanks, right. It won't be good for the water. This is IMO. Crushed coral is fine. U need stuff that can buffer the ph to 8.2.
If U have alrd set up, don't put in shrimp yet. Test the water over a few weeks . Make sure the kH and PH is good and doesn't drop.
I've had bad experience using sand that is for freshwater only. U need stuff that is suitable for marine setup. Aragonite, coral sand etc. if U want black substrate try black aragonite from Amazon. But don't put in shrimp till water is confirmed stable. Cheers