Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10540  by Rec

I’m seeing so much mixed info online so I’m wondering what anyone here has had luck with.

Other than chaeto algae, I want plants in my tank to liven it up. I tried a mangrove sapling but it died. I tried marimo in the past but it began turning brown and gross after a year. And I can’t find where to get hair algae that’s acclimated to brackish :(

Has anyone had luck with mangroves? Or any other plants? If you were able to successfully acclimate plants to brackish what was your process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #10542  by odin

Where do you live in the world? I have hair algae and Macro algae which lives fine in brackish water.... really wish I didn't have hair algae though as it just takes over and steals the nutrients from my macro algae.
 #10543  by Rec

odin wrote:Where do you live in the world? I have hair algae and Macro algae which lives fine in brackish water.... really wish I didn't have hair algae though as it just takes over and steals the nutrients from my macro algae.
I live in the U.S. in Florida.
I was worried about that happening but if it was the only plant in there I think it could look nice. I love the look it gives when it’s on the walls of the aquarium

#10548  by Rec

Vorteil wrote:Unfortunately there are no plants that can survive with Opae Ula. Here's a post I made.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpaeUla/commen ... work_with/
So unfortunate. I saw your post about putting caulerpa in with your tank. Did it work out? Or did it eventually all melt? Also what was the algae on the walls in there. I’m trying so hard to get that stuff in mine!

#10550  by Rec

Vorteil wrote:Caulerpa was a nightmare. There's a reason it's considered an evasive algae. It grows and spreads too fast. I had it in quite a few of my tanks and took it all out. Here's a link to it.

https://www.google.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=6850
Sadly the link doesn’t seem to work for me. The fact it grows so well though I’m tempted to try it. I wanna start a large tank so it’d be cool if it filled out well but I’m not sure

#10576  by Vorteil

Caulerpa is a nightmare. I pulled it out of 4 tanks that I added it to. It grows too fast. Spreads all over & the roots attach and cling to everything including sand.
 #10577  by solomalawi.

Vorteil wrote:Caulerpa is a nightmare. I pulled it out of 4 tanks that I added it to. It grows too fast. Spreads all over & the roots attach and cling to everything including sand.
They are ruppia maritima and stukenia, not caulerpa

Inviato dal mio SNE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk