Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #10430  by Chaiwatuk

All, recently my brackish water chaeto has not been doing well and my tank still suffering from periodic diatom blooms. The chaeto has been doing less well since hot summer period. Any suggestion to revive the chaeto? Should I use fertilisers? And if I should, what variety?

Btw water is good and my shrimps continue to be berried every 2 months or so. I have about 20+ shrimps now in a 20 litres tank. Shrimps are feeding well on diatoms and algaes and I drop few toothpicks of spirulina every few weeks. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #10431  by Vorteil

Water quality can be good but your macro algae is definitely lacking nutrients. Think of it as a plant. Are you still feeding your opae? Either way the current population is not able to support it? You can use fertilizer to boost it but there's a lot to take into consideration. Where are you located?
 #10433  by Vorteil

That's just not enough. I wouldn't focus on the chaeto and just remove some of it. The rest will recover. The opae seem to be doing well for you so I wouldn't mess with the water chemistry. I would also discontinue feeding. There's more than enough in there for the opae to thrive. Continual feeding can throw off the waters parameters if you're not running any filtration.