Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1925  by opae ula related

I made a slow motion of how the Opae Ula use their claws. Notice how much it opens up the claws. :hmm:

Actually see it feeding to their mouths. I also noticed he/she is right hand dominate since it uses the right claw more.
Last edited by opae ula related on 27 Oct 2016 00:57, edited 2 times in total.
 #1948  by opae ula related

Wander wrote:Are you using red/blue grow lights?
:grin:
It is an LED light with mostly white LEDs with some blue and red. It is on a timer so all turn off and on.
 #2110  by odin

Thats a really neat video man! LOL @ eating it so fast.... get it while its fresh eh :smile: :lol:
 #2256  by opae ula related

opae ula related wrote:

Live Opae Ula molting at top left. The molt is eating up by others right away. :what:
http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

Per article and I assume Opae Ula has the same characteristics. The video I took shows at least 3 times male Opae Ula doing the "drunking manner" or trying to harass her to mate.

"It is believed that shortly after molting the female is ready to mate. The way in which the male knows that the female is ready to mate is unknown. Perhaps she releases a chemical signal or some other type of notification that only shrimp can detect. It is known though that when a female molts the males in the tank will swim around the tank in a drunken manner looking to find the ready female."
 #2269  by odin

Nicely done! I will have to invest I think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro