Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3863  by odin

Moved over 40 larvae from the 140 to the 2nd larvae tank this afternoon, leaks still there i noticed but its very slow so im going to ignore it for a bit lol.
 #3873  by odin

Spotted 14 larvae new this week so far and 9 berried females out and about to grazing the tank. No sign of slowing down yet even with colder temperatures here in the UK... tank heaters are a must on this side of the world for Opae ula tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3887  by Vorteil

I must say the breeding that has gone on is amazing. You tank set up has been ideal. I never fully realized the size of your tank till I did the liter to gallon conversion. The size you have is one I wish I had. Well, maybe one day. I plan to set up a 38L tank hopefully in the next couple of weeks. How many opae is in your 140L now?

Another question. How many did you originally start with? Did you buy yours through just one breeder? It seems you have different varieties or opae that may be from all 3 islands, Oahu, Big Island, & Maui?
 #3888  by odin

Thanks! There is around 300ish in there, with about 40 larvae at the moment. I remove all larvae into separate tanks so as not to have any over crowding. The tank seems to be perfect for them and there seems to be 10+ berried females at any one point, I have listed the tanks parameters on the first post of this thread. I don't mind sharing my success with others unlike some Opae ula forum owners :op .

Some of these are from different sources but I assume they all originated from Hawaii. The he ones in this tank are what I started off with and my other tanks are the ones i have bred myself which I shall be selling once I get around to it. There must be hundreds and hundreds split between the 2 larvae tanks, I don't seem to get 100% survival rate but the ones that do make it to juveniles seems impressive.

#3889  by Vorteil

I didn't realize that the opae ula will not interbreed. After researching it I gained more info. I bought mine from 3 different sellers. One from Florida, Texas, and locally here in Los Angeles. I believe all 3 are from different areas. Had I known this I would have gotten them all from one breeder. I really appreciate your site. Keep up the great work. That's what these forums are for, to help each other out. I'm a hobbyist. I have no interest in selling my opae. I really enjoy the hobby and the goal is to have a huge tank with the water being "red".
 #3895  by odin

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6734 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 6734 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (889.42 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
 #3900  by odin

I moved all the larvae into their own tank this weekend past and new larvae have appeared already, up to 30 since yesterday.

#3911  by odin

Moved over another 40+ Opae ula babies today into larvae tank #02

Few shots from in the 140 breeding tank.
Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg (911.29 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (812.09 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
 #3915  by odin

24 new larvae appeared in the breeder tank this evening, I’m going to run out of space at this rate lol.