Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2053  by Priscilla

odin wrote:The opae ula shrimp loves being out and feeding in dark conditions so it's pretty normal for them to enjoy the evening light. If you feed them and they don't eat the food just remove it best you can and try again in 2 weeks. There is probably enough food in your tank for them to eat through the day so they are giving your food a miss. Just be sure not to leave the food in the tank or it could spoil the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh, so should I feed them at night with the light on then? Can they see and smell the food? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2055  by odin

You can feed them whenever you wish (day/night) they dont mind :laugh: , but like before if they don't touch the food then they already have everything they need in the tank already that grows naturally.
 #2064  by Priscilla

odin wrote:You can feed them whenever you wish (day/night) they dont mind :laugh: , but like before if they don't touch the food then they already have everything they need in the tank already that grows naturally.
Oh alright! I'll try feeding them 2 weeks later. Just hope that they won't be full from eating stuff around the tank!
Also, I am finally seeing a bit of green algae growing on the shells and large coral! :grin:
I currently have pH at 8.0 with the help of eggshells. Will adding more of it bring the pH higher? :huh:
 #2065  by odin

It may speed up the PH being raised, the waters PH will top out if it has an endless supply to buffer it around 8.2 to 8.4, anything over 8.0 is a good spot so i wouldn't worry to much about your water now but make sure there is always something in your tank to break down and stop the water becoming acidic (egg shells, coral, shells and limestone etc). That is a really good sign if you have green algae! That is why they don't seem to want extra food, they have a nice supply all around them :happy: .
Last edited by odin on 06 Nov 2016 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
 #2066  by Priscilla

odin wrote:It may speed up the PH being raised, the waters PH will top out if it has an endless supply to buffer it around 8.2 to 8.4, anything over 8.0 is a good spot so i wouldn't worry to much about your water now but make sure there is always something in your tank to break down and stop the water becoming acidic (egg shells, coral, shells and limestone etc). That is a really good sign if you have green algae! That is why they don't seem to want extra food, they have a nice supply all around them :happy: .
But the shrimps don't seem to be interested in the algae, only the snails :laugh:
Maybe I'll add a little more eggshells and test the water again.

I also see the shrimps grazing on the cuttlebone, is it bad for them? Will it cause them to have difficulty in molting?
 #2067  by odin

The Opae ula will be grazing on biofilm and algae that's growing on the cuttlebone, it wont harm them in the slightest so don't worry. The way you have described your tank really makes it sound all very normal and healthy, you have some lucky Opae ula shrimp :wink: .
Last edited by odin on 06 Nov 2016 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
 #2068  by Priscilla

odin wrote:The Opae ula will be grazing on biofilm and algae that's growing on the cuttlebone, it wont harm them in the slightest so don't worry. The way you have described your tank really makes it sound all very normal and healthy, you have some lucky Opae ula shrimp :wink: .
Oh that's a relief! Haven't seen any molts for about a week already and so I thought the cuttlebones are keeping their shells hard and they would have trouble getting it off.

Do I have to clear bubbles forming at the top? Starting to see A LOT of bubbles coming from the ground and getting stuck at the top and sometimes getting stuck at the shrimp legs :huh:
 #2069  by odin

Bubbles are fine, Algae will produce air bubbles and is normal.
 #2070  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Bubbles are fine, Algae will produce air bubbles and is normal.
Oh alright!! It's so funny to see the shrimps being shocked by the bubbles that are floating to the top :laugh: :laugh:
 #4601  by tzg

do the opaes even sleep? i see them moving at all times. i never catch them asleep before.