Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #3875  by AdeDunn

For once, nothing to do with fish or shrimp!!! :what:

My wife and I have taken up brewing once more. So far made a Zinfandel rose kit for family (not really a wine drinker), various meads, and rather a lot of beer. :cool: Just bottled 26 pints of a Woodfordes Headcracker kit to go with the Coopers Mexican Cerveza (just starting to taste nice) that I bottled a couple of weeks ago. :wink: Oh yeah, and have about 6 litres left of 23 litres of turbo cider I made. :omg:

Turbo cider

Mead

So if at any point I stop making sense, you'll know why.... :hmm:
 #3878  by odin

This looks so cool, i have co workers that make their own red wine and lagers but i have never tried it my self, what alc volume % are we looking at here?
 #3879  by AdeDunn

The mead varies between 11 and 15%abv, so far the beers have been 3.8% for the cerveza and 6% for the headcracker I Bottled earlier. The turbo cider was about 4%.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

#3880  by odin

I've never tried mead, what can you compare it too?

Added in 14 minutes 49 seconds:
I used to know someone who drank it but i swear he was a viking. :tongue:
 #3881  by AdeDunn

It's usually described as wine made with honey, not grapes, but isn't always sweet. You can also add herbs or spices (metheglin) or fruit (melomel) for more flavours. Since we started again I've made a gallon of vanilla metheglin, a gallon of ginger metheglin, 5 gallons of raspberry melomel, 3 gallons of blackberry melomel and 2 gallons of normal mead. We have a few friends who like to share it though. Lol. Oh, and I have 1 gallon of hydromel on the go (much weaker mead, at around 4 to 6 %abv, that you ferment with ale yeast and then bottle prime to carbonate it like you do with beer. It's really thirst quenching, unlike mead which just gets you drunk before you realise how strong it is. Lol

The Vikings famously drank mead (possibly more like hydromel given the quantities they allegedly quaffed), most European countries probably did though, especially rural communities.

I learned long ago to drink it in moderation though. If you like it it's very morish, but gets you insanely drunk and gives you the worst hangover imaginable.... 🤒. Oh, and it's good for colds and sore throats... Lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

#3905  by odin

Looks awesome man! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3906  by AdeDunn

I did, it was delicious. :wink: A few more weeks and it'll be even nicer, still a bit yeasty tasting at the moment. That's why it's still a bit cloudy. :grin:
 #3913  by odin

I stuck to the Gin this weekend :laugh:
 #3914  by AdeDunn

:nerner: I tried gin once, to me it tasted a lot like aftershave... :laugh: Prefer a nice Speyside single malt, or some Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. :wink: