Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2873  by odin

Found 2 new larvae floating in the breeder tank tonight then spotted the mother Opae who released them... there looks to be another 10 maybe to be released over the next 2 days! I cant keep up with them now :tongue:

Here's a few photos of them and a few of the other berried mom shrimps!

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg (737.52 KiB) Viewed 11514 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 11514 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (767.23 KiB) Viewed 11514 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (921.03 KiB) Viewed 11514 times
 #2882  by Suisho

Hi Odin

I'm new member.
I have 100 opae ula and with 3 tanks. But only 1 tank started to breed after 2 years. Pretty long and verge to give up.

I am not sure why it took so long to breed. The other 2 tank have no signs of breeding at all.

Could you share with me what is the mesh bag?
 #2883  by odin

Suisho wrote:Hi Odin

I'm new member.
I have 100 opae ula and with 3 tanks. But only 1 tank started to breed after 2 years. Pretty long and verge to give up.

I am not sure why it took so long to breed. The other 2 tank have no signs of breeding at all.

Could you share with me what is the mesh bag?
Hi there! This large tank was a pretty new setup (a few months or so ago) and i wanted to help the tank cycle faster and mature the water/gravel so I bagged up some of the sand from my old tank that i broke down and put in the bag and just added it in. Now the tank is fully matured i have taken it out.

If you post some photos of your tanks and let me know the water parameters (that sort of thing) i can try and help you make some changes to promote breeding.
 #2885  by Suisho

Hi odin

I tested the water for 1st tanks
No3 - 0.25
No2 - 0.2
Ph - 8

2nd and 3rd tank

No3 - 0
No2 - 0
pH - 8

Sorry for my bad skill of taking picture.
2nd and 3rd tank i just added more coral loose stone last week
In fact i have see n 1st tank breed but they all aborted thw past 1 yr and only start seeing larva this year.

Is my tank lack of good bacteria?
Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg (430.46 KiB) Viewed 11512 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (440.26 KiB) Viewed 11512 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (350.27 KiB) Viewed 11512 times
Last edited by Suisho on 27 Mar 2017 07:37, edited 2 times in total.
 #2890  by odin

Suisho wrote:Hi odin

I tested the water for 1st tanks
No3 - 0.25
No2 - 0.2
Ph - 8

2nd and 3rd tank

No3 - 0
No2 - 0
pH - 8

Sorry for my bad skill of taking picture. 2nd and 3rd tank i just added more coral loose stone last week In fact i have see n 1st tank breed but they all aborted thw past 1 yr and only start seeing larva this year.

Is my tank lack of good bacteria?
Nice tanks! If you make a new thread in this section Brackish tank maintenance, help and healthcare section. with this information it will get more people viewing it and get some more help/opinions.

Post your tanks:
  • Age of tanks
    Salt quantity/SG
    Temperature
    Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels in ppm
    PH
    How often you feed and what food
    Do you use a filter?
    When was the last time you changed any of the water?
    What sort of water did you use with your salt? Tap, bottles, RO ? etc
A lot of questions but it will help a lot for an answer :smile:
 #2951  by odin

I transferred over around 20 larvae from the breeder tank to the larvae tank and fed the big tank some food, all looks well in the shrimp kingdom!

#2965  by odin

Found 3 more larvae floating around that i must of missed or they were hiding so i moved those over too, i also put a ball of macro algae in the larvae tank. Just hope it doesn't steal all the nutrients away from my moss ball.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 11513 times
 #2971  by odin

I came home tonight and the breeder tank has another 15 larvae floating in it! I've just emptied it of larvae at the weekend lol. I will leave these until next weekend and move them to the larvae tank too.

I shot a quick video of my Opae ula being all frisky in the breeder tank tonight. :happy: :cool: :upsidedown: