Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4638  by tzg

Hi guys

im setting up a new tank, have washed the tank, boiled and washed all the corals and they are currently soaking in distilled water. Im getting the opae ula from a local seller, can i pour his mature brackish water and shrimps right away into my new tank? If not, why is it so?

Thank you! =)
 #4645  by KarstShrimp

You have to cycle your own tank first. Without the mature environment of a cycled tank, it could end up badly for these shrimp. The algae and bacteria present in a cycled tank are mostly on various surfaces. Just a little water from the seller won’t do it.
 #4646  by odin

I agree you need to wait for your tank to mature, you asked something similar in a different thread and i answered your question http://opaeula.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... 4619#p4617

Beneficial bacteria lives mostly in substrates and not much actually lives in the actual water.
 #4650  by odin

Hehe no worries, honestly just fill up your tank with brackish water and dump in your substrate and some suitable rocks and leave it for a few weeks. You could probably put shrimp in after 2 weeks if you use biodigest every 2 weeks in the tank to reduce Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4652  by tzg

ok understood. Do i get biodigest or startup?
Attachments:
PRODIBIO-Start-Up-x30-vials-.-BioDigest-Stop-Ammo-510x530.jpg
PRODIBIO-Start-Up-x30-vials-.-BioDigest-Stop-Ammo-510x530.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
338637039_3_644x461_prodibio-bio-digest-bakterie-w-ampulkach-sklep-plaszczka-akcesoria-akwariowe.jpg
338637039_3_644x461_prodibio-bio-digest-bakterie-w-ampulkach-sklep-plaszczka-akcesoria-akwariowe.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
 #4655  by odin

Yeah biodigest is the one I’d advise to use as I can speak from past use/experience. It’s always good to have it in stock in case of water issues down the road for emergencies.

@Munchkinmamma I assume it’s more or less the same thing, it’s just bottled nitrifying bacteria’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4657  by KarstShrimp

I used bio-starters when setting up my 12G tank and none for my 6G. The 12G was cycled after 6 weeks, and the 6G in a week. Other factors could be in play, like I had filter and live plants in the 12G but only rock in the 6G. But I do believe you don’t need the bio-starters.