Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2985  by AdeDunn

@odin, Thanks. This is sort of a return in progress to the hobby after a break of many years. Last time around was when CRS were £30 each and I had to buy most of my shrimp from Germany as couldn't get much beyond red cherry shrimp, CRS and CBS in the UK. :smile: It's my first foray into brackish species though, so I'm sure questions will arise. Really looking forward to keeping them to be honest. :cool:
 #2994  by odin

AdeDunn wrote:@odin, Thanks. This is sort of a return in progress to the hobby after a break of many years. Last time around was when CRS were £30 each and I had to buy most of my shrimp from Germany as couldn't get much beyond red cherry shrimp, CRS and CBS in the UK. :smile: It's my first foray into brackish species though, so I'm sure questions will arise. Really looking forward to keeping them to be honest. :cool:
Its a great shrimp to keep, when you are all setup and established there are no water changes and hardly any feeding's.
 #2996  by AdeDunn

odin wrote:
Its a great shrimp to keep, when you are all setup and established there are no water changes and hardly any feeding's.
Yeah, I used those tidbits to convince my wife to let me set up a tank for some. Image
Last edited by AdeDunn on 05 Apr 2017 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
 #3295  by Vorteil

Just joined the forum. Wanted to say "hi!".
Attachments:
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG (107.59 KiB) Viewed 7740 times
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG (55.78 KiB) Viewed 7740 times
 #3296  by odin

Welcome to our forum! That is a very nice tank you have there and i see eggs! :happy: :grin: :smile: I'd love to see more photos and find out how old it is, feel free to post in our members journal section Here.
Last edited by odin on 23 May 2017 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
 #3301  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:Just joined the forum. Wanted to say "hi!".
Nice tank! Corals on top of lava rocks. Is that PipIpi snails? What kind if leaves are those?
 #3305  by Vorteil

Thanks everyone. I'll post in the members journal section. I have a ton of pics. The leaves are guava, seems the nerite snails enjoy them.
 #3433  by Uslanja

Good day everyone! Just registered here and planning to set up a small 20 litre tank. The tank is currently used as a freshwater plant grow out tank......... but since learning a bit about the Halocaridina rubra and the Metabetaeus lohena, that tanks days are numbered now. I am still in the research stage and hoping to replicate an anchialine shrimp pool environment to some degree. Finding detailed information and submerged photos of these shrimp in their natural environment has been a slow process.

One site that has a few short videos of the natural environment: https://wn.com/Anchialine_Pool_Shrimp

I will be digging through the posts here and soon inundating everyone with a myriad number of questions about substrate, rock scape, lighting, bio-filtration and so much more. Hopefully I do not become a bore. I am very much looking forward to meeting and learning from everyone here.

Dave
 #3436  by odin

Welcome @Uslanja and i hope you find our Opae ula shrimp forum helpful and we are all here to help with any questions you have! You wont regret turning that spare tank into a brackish Opae ula tank and these guys are so much fun to keep.

I have a thread here with some cool videos of Opae ula shrimp and their surroundings: Here

I cant wait to see some photos of your new tank when its all up and running. :grin: