Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3608  by odin

Wow that's pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3611  by odin

Here is the main macro algae plant of mine which i take off cuts for my other tanks,

This is the large tank again but these all keep shooting up and growing in the substrate, still macro algae!

And some of the off cuts in my larvae tanks:
 #3614  by Vorteil

Are those different strains? All the ones compared to the last one?
 #3615  by odin

Nope they are all from the same plant, it does look different though, colour and density looks different doesn't it.

#3616  by Vorteil

They do look different. The last one looks similar to mine.
 #3617  by Chocy

wow... the micro algae grows so fast in a span of a few days... gosh, will it be troublesome to maintain and trim them ?
Will the shrimps be caught inside ? it is like a maze if one ever venture into them.... lol
 #3618  by odin

Mine took months and months and months to grow the size mine is, my water has very low nutrients though.

#3619  by Vorteil

In my first tank it grew pretty fast doe to the excess nutrients in it. The second tank with the smaller macroalgae grows well but not as fast due to lack of high nutrients. That tank is only 3 months old. Personally I would rather not have it in the tank but it does make a huge difference in controlling the hair and slime algae. If it grows too fast just pull some apart sell, give, or throw it away. The shrimp go in it but don't eat it. I've never had one get caught in it that could not get out.
 #3620  by Vorteil

This is what I dealing with in my first tank. Trying to control the algae that on the sand bed. It is hair algae. The opae do pick through it.

The 3 gallon has algae but it's surface algae which the opae graze off of.